Friday 2 July 2010

The South Will Rise Again (To the Occasion)

The surf was not epic or all-time, in fact it was 1-2 feet in height, but clean and glassy, but the vista was something else.


Picture this: an "alpine"-type day, crisp, clear, sunny winter's day and I am sitting out in the ocean on my surfboard. Arctic terns are diving for fish nearby and cormorants are swimming along bobbing for fish also. At one point, the small, black dorsal fin of a Hector's dolphin (the world's smallest dolphin) slices the surface only about ten metres ahead of me out to sea. Small, clean waves roll in from the Pacific on to a sandbar near a river mouth and if you look in towards shore, you see the sun sparkling on a lazy river meandering to the sea and in the distance, you can see the snow-laden peaks of the Southern Alps.


If you are an atheist, you're on your own here. But, for me, I feel that something bigger than humans is out there, call it The Great Spirit, Allah, Yahweh, Jehovah, Prana, Love, The Force or whatever takes your fancy, but when I am surrounded by this southern beauty, I thank the Big Guy/Gal for creating this wonderful, wonderful world.

No comments:

Post a Comment