Tuesday 9 November 2010

Tuesday Poem: "Ruby, the dark-haired girl (1887-1987)"




O grandmother,
though we are Pakeha you had great mana.
You lived close to that taciturn volcano, One Tree Hill,
and its scoria scars were like the lines on your face,
etched out by the evolution of that city.
And, grandmother, you remembered the beginning of the cycle
with the lucid vision you could not afford on the recent past.
I always wanted to tell you that I loved you, grandmother,
with a sincerity you would feel long after you passed
through the gates of heaven.
To tell you that when I was a child,
I believed you would be here always,
but then I listened closely to the silence between your words
and I knew you were weary of this world.
You were the last bridge
connecting us with a pioneer century
and I feared we would lose ourselves if ever we lost you,
but we never did
for in our children and in our children’s children
we will see the face of Ruby, the dark-haired girl.


2 comments:

  1. Such resonance to your words, thank you for posting this! I particularly felt the analogy between the scoria scars of a particularly significant geographical point and the connection to the time worn lines on a loved one's face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment. I loved my Grandma very much and she was a big influence on my life.

    ReplyDelete