Tuesday 4 October 2011

Tuesday Poem: "Reasons to be Cheerful Parts 1-3"


For Deb Eastwood

I.          You are like those swallows
            that migrate across vast oceans,
            brave, resilient, tiny birds,
            heavy with the scented mystery of Africa
            and winging towards some European eaves.

II.         “I like them. I love their vibrancy,”
            said the woman in the cafe
            where your paintings hung.
            “I know the artist,” I said,
            “she's a lovely person.”
            As if my excitement at seeing your work
            out in the world
            could hope to capture the complexity
            of your art and life.
            Vibrancy, I couldn't have said it better myself.
            To feel joy for your joy
            was a tantalising glimpse of nirvana.

III.         You showed me your photos.
             “That's my ex,” you said
             without a vestige of discomfort.
             I felt honoured to be admitted
             to the celebration of who you are.

The poet wishes to acknowledge Valley Micropress in whose pages this poem first appeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment