Saturday 25 August 2012

Who Needs Feminism? We All Do.



I came across the newspaper article above recently (Click on the image to enlarge for easier reading). Despite all the advances in social attitudes, we don't seem to have risen much above the caveman levels in the subconscious.

Maybe I'm reading far too much into this or I'm taking it too seriously, but I find the superficiality of the male pretty damning of my gender. And I'm not holier than thou because I'm guilty of appraising women according to their attractiveness. I can't help feeling though that if men could rise above their baser instincts, we would move forward with lightning speed towards true equality.

This also offends my sense of fairness and justice which was inculcated by my parents, but especially by my mother. Why should the face and body you were born with be a hindrance to your income or, indeed, an advantage?

I've said all I need to say because I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post, Andrew. In some ways these things are biological and there isn't anything we (men or women) can do about them apart from being mindful of our own instinctual selves. Which is what you are doing, so bravo.

    ReplyDelete