Tuesday 12 September 2017

Tuesday Poem: "Dream of a Slave" by Gavin Ewart



I want to be carried, heavily sedated,
into a waiting aircraft.

I want to collapse from nervous exhaustion.

I want to bow my head like Samson

and bring down with me

the top ten advertising agencies.


I want to see the little bosses

vanish like harmless fairies.

I want the pantomime to be over,

the circus empty.


I want what is real to establish itself,

my children to prevail,

to live happy ever after

in this world that worships the preposterous.


It is better to be a scribe

than hacking at the salt mines,

heaving the building blocks.

Everybody wants to be a scribe.


But I want out. I want non-existence.

A passive dream, a future for my children.



by Gavin Ewart



For more information about poet, Gavin Ewart, see:



No comments:

Post a Comment