Tuesday 9 August 2022

Tuesday Poem: "Posture" by Megan Seil aka Dusty Rhymes


Walk tall
Stand upright 
Don't be contrite
Smile more

Chest out
Chin up
Don't look down 
Levitate above the ground
Perform for us

Be on show 
Let us bathe in your womanly glow
But don't harness her

Not that power she holds
The rich maroon reds and gold
They're for us to revel in

Chin up
Chest out
Don't you pout

Stay in shape
Be tall and thin
Not too stout

Speak quietly 
Don't shout
Mellow oooout

Don't embody her fullness
The warmth and the goodness
Her energy

Put your shoulders back
Take that smoulder back
Its unladylike 

Conform for us
Be on form for us
Stroke our egos

Be present 
Don't be unpleasant 
Control yourself

Ignore her
Don't adorn her
Do not mourn her

Keep your eyeline straight
Don't stay up too late
Be respectable

Make pleasantries 
Drink pleasant teas
Not rum

Smile more
Don't be a whore
Wash your mouth out

Don't acknowledge her
Don't trust her knowledge
Go to college 
Get an education 

Be book smart
Be well dressed
And pass the test

Behave
Don't express your rage
Present yourself 

Sit down
Don't frown
Be grateful

You're a woman now.

by Megan Seil aka Dusty Rhymes


And this is what young Ōtautahi poet, Megan Seil, says about herself:

"Growing up rough I found my escape through books and song lyrics and eventually began writing short stories and poetry of my own. I've always kept most of my work to myself, only recently beginning to share relevant pieces via social media and sacred sharing circles. Spoken Word has afforded me the freedom to express my deepest hurts and fears under the guise of "art" and as someone with a naturally rhythmic, repetitive and poetic mind, it allows me to organize the chaos in my head into something slightly more palatable to the general public. My only hope with my work is that people are able to truly see me, and in turn are able to feel more truly seen themselves."

Thank you for sharing your poem with the Tuesday Poem audience, both of them...ha ha. I heard Megan read this poem of hers (shown above) at the Catalyst monthly poetry Open Mic night. If you are an Ōtautahi poet or a poet visiting Ōtautahi  from somewhere in Aotearoa or the world, I urge you to attend. It is a great night for lovers of poetry!

2 comments:

  1. I love your work Megan🌹

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Megan , I love poetry and short stories. create with a open mind and heart. Nga mihi.

    ReplyDelete