Tuesday 16 May 2023

Tuesday Poem: "Hell is Graduated" by Max Jacob


When I was employed at Cooperative Fashions, in spite of the dark, 
ugly old maid, I tried to steal some garters.  I was pursued down the 
superb staircases, not for the theft, but for my laziness at work and for 
my hatred of the innocent finery.  Descend, you are pursued.  The stair-
cases are less beautiful in the offices than in the part open to the public.  
The staircases are less beautiful in the "service" quarters than in the 
offices.  The staircases are still less beautiful in the cellar!  But what can 
I say of the marsh where I arrived?  What can I say of the laughter?  Of 
the animals that brushed by me, and of the whisperings of unseen 
creatures?  Water gave place to fire, to fear, to unconsciousness; when I 
came to myself I was in the hands of silent and nameless surgeons.

by Max Jacob (translated from the French by Elizabeth Jacob)

Photo Credit: Vechten (Library of Congress)

For more information about the poet, Max Jacob, see:

No comments:

Post a Comment