Tuesday 22 August 2023

Tuesday Poem (Song): "Just Like Heaven" by The Cure


"Show me, show me, show me how you do that trickThe one that makes me scream", she said"The one that makes me laugh", she saidAnd threw her arms around my neck
Show me how you do itAnd I promise you, I promise thatI'll run away with youI'll run away with you
Spinning on that dizzy edgeKissed her face and kissed her headDreamed of all the different ways I had to make her glow"Why are you so far away?", she said"Why won't you ever know that I'm in love with youThat I'm in love with you?"
YouSoft and onlyYouLost and lonelyYouStrange as angelsDancing in the deepest oceansTwisting in the waterYou're just like a dreamYou're just like a dream
Daylight licked me into shapeI must've been asleep for daysAnd moving lips to breathe her nameI opened up my eyesAnd found myself alone, aloneAlone above a raging seaThat stole the only girl I lovedAnd drowned her deep inside of me
YouSoft and lonelyYouLost and lonelyYouJust like heaven

by Robert James Smith/Boris Williams/Laurence Andrew Tolhurst/Porl Thompson and Simon Johnathon Gallup 
Robert Smith, in my humble opinion, has tended to be underrated as a crafter of perfect pop songs. When I use the term "pop", I mean it in a positive not derogatory way. A perfect pop song is a thing of beauty and although it might sound as though it was easy to write, it was not. Robert Smith and his co-songwriters get in and get out in 3 minutes and 30 seconds approximately because they understand what makes a perfect pop song. Always leave the listener wanting. There are not many perfect pop songs in contemporary popular music, but I think Just Like Heaven is a shining example.

No comments:

Post a Comment