Tuesday 19 September 2023

Tuesday Poem: "Driving With Madness" by Emma-Jane Uren


My madness is the friend who I like to take on road trips. 
They are an amazing travel companion, giving me directions and teaching me new ways to get to places to catch the scenery… 
But I hate it when my Madness is behind the wheel. 
My Madness is a reckless driver, they swerve all over the road, shouting and screaming maniacally.
 They don’t give a shit about the speed limit or anyone else for that matter. 
I wrestle with them to pull over, pleading with them to stop. 
And then… as I try to gain control of the car, we wind up in a ditch. 
The car is munted, thankfully we’re ok and it isn’t a complete write-off… 
My Madness is gutted, and sad and broken… and so am I. 
The car that I saved up so hard for, the car I fought for, now sports a few more dents, adding to the last time I let my Madness take control… 
It’s my turn now to drive… My Madness takes the passenger seat again… switches on the radio and together we start singing along to our favourite song and we laugh. 
My Madness pinky promises me not to take the wheel again, and I promise not to let them… 
But then again, some promises are made to be broken…  

by Emma-Jane Uren


Emma-Jane Uren is an Otautahi/Christchurch-based poet and this is what she has to say about herself:

"I'm EJ. I'm an expert tea slurper, awkward conversationalist, passionate (yet terrible) ukulele player and singer-songwriter, laughter yoga enthusiast, mad poet and diarist.  I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting people to write about and share my chippies with!"

Emma-Jane Uren is a member of the "Mad Poets and Creatives Collective" who can be found on Facebook at:


No comments:

Post a Comment