Tuesday 20 June 2023

Tuesday Poem (Song): "Summer of My Life" by Archie Roach



She comes here everydayThis little lady with hair of greyAnd she just smiles and shufflesOn her way
Through these hospital corridorsShe walks along these lonely floorsTo a bedWhere an old man used to layAnd an old man used to say
I'm in the summer of my lifeI've seen the good timesI've seen the strifeI've just been under the surgeon's knifePlease don't cry, my darling wife
He came here a year agoAnd the doctors didn't knowIf the time for him to goWas near
But when it cameAnd he went to sleepShe prayed the LordHis soul to keepAnd as she closed her eyes to weepIt seemed that she could hear
I'm in the summer of my lifeI've seen the good timesI've seen the strifeI've just been under the surgeon's knifePlease don't cry, my darling wife
She'll sit there for many hoursAnd repeat her marriage vowsAnd place it there, the sweetest flowers in bloomShe sits by that empty bedHer weary eyes are wet and redAnd the words that he once saidStill echo through the room
I'm in the summer of my lifeI've seen the good timesI've seen the strifeI've just been under the surgeon's knifePlease don't cry, my darling wife
'Cause you and I, we've had some funAnd our love has touched everyoneAnd in the light of the moon and sunYou and I have been as one

by Archie Roach

For more information about the songwriter and Aboriginal activist, Archie Roach, see:


No comments:

Post a Comment